Sigma art 105mm vs Nikon 105mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dtray187 Contributing Member • Posts: 615
Sigma art 105mm vs Nikon 105mm

Hey Guys , I had the chance to test the Sigma art 105mm a few days ago. Did a quick shootout video between it and my Nikon 105 1.4

https://youtu.be/AYeJs5MZ2XY

Raw files in the link

My verdict was that, the sigma is sharper, as most art lenses are. It was just too heavy and a bit clinical in it’s rendering for me. Maybe I wouldn’t mind it if I didn’t love the way my Nikon draws so much.

The copy I borrowed from my friend did suffer from the typical sigma art focusing issues though. Out of 20 shots , only 6 or so in focus with 3d tracking and face detection on the D850. I calibrated it before shooting. My art 35 does the same thing.

The 105 nikon hit 17 out of 20, pretty much what I’m used to with it. If I was a Nikon shooter I would buy a used Nikon 105 way befor the sigma. Too many obstacles to overcome for me to justify the price and weight.

dtray187's gear list:dtray187's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow