What do I do with these movie files?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 1,440
Re: What do I do with these movie files?

edform wrote:

AlwynS wrote:

Hhhmmm, I am not seeing thousands of members leaping to your aid here.... Not too surprising I think as this is not a simple question. On top of that you are asking about a Nikon product on a Sony forum.

But someone has to bite the bullet I suppose, so here goes:

To start: I know you say we should treat you as a complete newb in this field but I still need to ask a few questions to get a sense of what you know and what you have.

1. First: others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the only way you can post a video is to have either a YouTube of Vimeo account. So the immediate question: do you have one of those? If the answer is no: do you perhaps have a Google account? If so you might have a YouTube account without knowing it...

2. Do you want to do any editing of the video? By editing I mean even as simple as trimming the beginning or end or cutting out pieces in the movie itself. If not: we may be able to get away with just using the YouTube or Vimeo file uploader. This would be the simplest solution....

If you DO want to do some editing: do you have ANY kind of video editor on your computer? This somewhat depends on whether you have a Windows or Apple computer. Most Windows computer have at least Windows Live Movie Maker. If you still have the original disks that came with your Nikon I suspect they would have included a lightweight editor as well. This software (if you have something like that) I know nothing about though.

And yes: video files are huge. But the 870MB file size you mentioned is nothing unusual for YouTube. One can reduce the quality of video and file size when using the video editor so there is always that possibility. But even if you upload it at the large file size, once uploaded to YouTube people can choose to view the video at lesser resolution in order to reduce the amount of data used. This is all done behind the scenes by YouTube so you do not have to worry about that.

Once we know what you have and what you want to do we can talk about how to do it.

Thanks for that Alwyn - you really supplied all I need for my purposes. I discovered I did have a YouTube account via my Google account and it only took me a few minutes to get the first video uploaded.

Phew, that’s a relief! Very glad you  worked it out yourself that quickly and easily: I was afraid it could have been quite a battle..

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow