Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Started Oct 6, 2015 | Discussions thread
mensch plus kamera
mensch plus kamera Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

1elementin7groups wrote:

I thought maybe some of you 150-600 Sport owners would like this mod...

I love the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens but I hated the foot. If I was hand holding the lens, or carrying it around, I could not grab it by the foot and carry it comfortably. My hands are just too large. This was awkward for me.

So I ordered a block of 0.5" x 1.75" 6061-T6 flat bar aluminium (under $12), and sourced some M4 longer screws at Ace Hardware.

I used a hacksaw to cut the alum block to size, drilled the four foot holes on the drill press and screwed it together. Now I have an extra .5" of space between the collar and the foot. A little thread locker on the screw threads and it is secure.

Cut aluminum block spacer, new screws inserted in shoe, old screw on the right.

Aluminum spacer block and shot mounted.

Spacer block mounted plus Arca plate on shoe.

You can get the aluminum flat bar at hardware stores or Amazon or just do a search for it.

Dave

The downside may be reduced stiffness, though. So you might have to wait longer for vibration to ebb off on a tripod.

m+k

-- hide signature --

Live every life as if it was your last.

mensch plus kamera's gear list:mensch plus kamera's gear list
Pentax Optio 450 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow