SD15 for Senior Photos?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bvy Regular Member • Posts: 330
SD15 for Senior Photos?

I’ve been doing studio portraits, mostly using large format film, for the past several years. Just this month, I’ve been asked by friends to do senior and family (location) photos. Digital is still my go to for headshots and other commercial work that requires volume and/or quick turnaround, and I’ve always favored Sigma cameras (though my now antique Olympus E-520 has proven to be a workhorse).

So I’m at a crossroads. I have an SD15, and I need to decide if it’s up to the task of delivering the goods. My main concern is the smaller sensor (by today’s standards) and the need to possibly upsize files to produce 8x10’s or 11x14’s (the latter might be optimistic).

I still love the results of Foveon cameras, and I’m comfortable with processing X3F files. I could work with the SD15 and invest in some primes with an eye toward getting a more current body later. An expensive body just isn’t in the budget right now.

Or I could keep the SD15 for my personal work (Foveon will always be somewhere in my arsenal) and invest in, say, a used Nikon D7200 with 50mm and 85mm primes as a starter kit for these projects.

Thoughts?

bvy's gear list:bvy's gear list
Sigma DP1x Olympus E-520 Sigma SD15
Nikon D7200 Olympus E-520 (EVOLT E-520) Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow