Kenko 1.4x on my Canon lenses - mixed feelings

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AnthonyL Senior Member • Posts: 2,825
Kenko 1.4x on my Canon lenses - mixed feelings

Following on from my posts not long ago where I was shooting birds at quite a distance I've bought the Kenko 1.4x HG DGX.  I did try Canon's extender but that does not autofocus on the Rebel cameras.

Out of interest I tried the Kenko on all my lenses (listed in my gear below) and it worked though better on some than others and it was more fussy with vegetation.

However I'm not sure that either I've got the best out of it, or if that is the best it will do.  The main comparisons are of course with the 100-400 with and without but I also wondered if putting it on the 55-250 would save me the effort of carrying the 100-400.

All images processed in DPP from RAW.   I could choose a different test subject but this is more typically of what I'm shooting.  Exif & file names show test.  Comments please.  I have about 3 days left in which I can return the extender no questions asked.

55-250 at  250 + 1.4

100-400 at 400

100-400 at 400 + 1.4

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow