Good lenses for IR

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sacred
Sacred Regular Member • Posts: 297
Good lenses for IR

Hello!

I need input from those of you who practice IR photography. I have a converted Nikon D7000 with 720nm IR filter. I'm looking for a suitable lens to use on this body. I'm mostly interested in wide angle lenses. The lenses I currently use are Tamron 10-24VC and Sigma 18-35. Both of these are hotspot free. Tamron has soft corners at wider settings but it really shines 16-24mm. Sigma has slightly soft corners too at widest setting but gets better when zoomed in. Overall sharpness of both lenses are really good. I have tried Nikkor 18-55 VR1 but I'm not very happy. Corners are much worse at comparable focal lengths than either of the above mentioned.

I would appreciate if you people could post your IR pictures in full size so that I can compare with what I use now. The thing I'm interested the most is lens sharpness and contrast in wide angle realm. It doesn't matter what lens is used and what kind of IR filter sits in front of the sensor. The idea here is to exchange IR lens performance experiences for F-mount so that other people could eventually buy better lenses or not sell their existing ones. I heard reports that Nikkor 16-85 is good lens for IR and it's something I would like to see for myself.

These are four photos showing the same scene using the same custom WB preset. Camera was tripod mounted. Stabilization was turned off. Live view focusing was used. I took two pictures with each lens (although there was no difference between the first and the second picture). Capture NX-D was used to convert NEF to JPEG. Ignore the fact that I used different apertures. Stopping down beyond f/5.6 does not improve corner sharpness, it only affects DoF.

Notice how Nikkor 18-55 has the best response in IR.

1. Nikkor 18-55 VR1

2. Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6

3. Sigma 18-35A

4. Tamron 10-24 VC

Sacred's gear list:Sacred's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +3 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow