7D II's sensor in 2018

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NoQuarter72388 Junior Member • Posts: 44
7D II's sensor in 2018

Hey guys,

So I managed to snipe a Canon 7D II for a killer price, in fact it was good enough to where if I don't dig the camera, I could sell it and possibly profit.  So why not, right?  Anyways, to my question.

Is the IQ of the 7d II really THAT bad?  I have yet to receive the camera, so haven't been able to take shots that really test the dynamic range of the sensor, and I don't really put weight into non-real world testing like dxomark stuff.  Personally, I like the ergonomics, menu structure, customer service, and lens quality and selection of Canon vs the competition (I still have a nagging interest in Pentax, but whatever).  My main photographic interests are wildlife, landscape, and astro.  So I've essentially been trying to decide on which Canon body to get, and have settled on the 80D vs 7D II.  I want a crop sensor for the reach (wildlife), but also don't want a Rebel...I owned a T6i for ~2 years, and although relatively happy with it, I realized I NEEDED weather proofing and dual control dials, and WANTED better autofocus tracking.

So does anyone have input on how that sensor is today?  What the IQ looks like today?  I'm not a pixel peeper by any stretch, but can't deny how useful dynamic range is for pretty much all the photography I do.  Ideally I would just wait for Canon to release the 7d III, but I already know that body will probably be over $2000, and still might not even be good!  Can't say I've been impressed by any of the bodies Canon has released over the past 2-3 years.  So what do I buy NOW?

Rant away

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6i (EOS 750D / Kiss X8i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow