Going on Safari - Upgrade from X-E2 to X-T2 or wait for X-T3? XF 100-400mm?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rotini
rotini New Member • Posts: 11
Going on Safari - Upgrade from X-E2 to X-T2 or wait for X-T3? XF 100-400mm?

Hi everyone, please excuse the lengthy post!

I'll be going on my first safari (Kenya) in late August and realized my photo gear (usually centered around landscape and street) will certainly be insufficient for shooting wildlife.

My current kit includes:

X-E2 (upgraded firmware)

Rokinon 12mm f2

XF 18-55mm f2.8/5.6

XF 27mm f2.8 + XF 35mm f1.4 (don't expect to be using these)

I was hoping to pick up and get by with the XF 55-200mm, although I haven't always been pleased with its IQ, based on some handling in the store and samples online (when compared with the 50-140 for example). Not a bad lens though, and if I needed a telephoto that wasn't specifically for wildlife I probably would have picked this up, as I do quite a bit of traveling each year and it doesn't cost a fortune.

However, I'm now convinced I *need* the 100-400mm lens for this trip. While I feel this focal length would definitely fill a much needed gap in my lens lineup (any telephoto), I could always sell it after the safari and recoup most of the cost if I decide it's not for me.

Which brings me to my next topic and question, should I upgrade from my long-in-the-tooth X-E2 if I'm going to be investing this much in a lens? Is the X-E2 going to hold me back significantly (looking at autofocus) when paired with the 100-400mm?

The options I'm looking at are:

1) Get the 55-200mm lens only. In other words, get by the safari and do my best "on the cheap"

2) Get the 100-400mm lens only. Worried the X-E2 will be holding the 100-400mm back in terms of performance, particularly with autofocus, but also to a lesser extent IQ/ISO

3) Get both the X-T2 on sale and the 100-400mm, and use the X-E2 with the 18-55mm as a second body (since changing lens during safari is not a good idea given the dusty environment). After August (i.e. September), possibly sell the X-T2 in anticipation for the X-T3.

(Should I anticipate a big price drop of the X-T2 once the X-T3 is either announced or initially released? It's already received a ~$500 price drop in the last month. When the X-T2 was released, does anyone remember if the X-T1 dropped in price significantly?)

2) Buy the X-H1 instead of the X-T2 and the 100-400mm. Sell the X-H1 in anticipation for the X-T3 (mainly since I don't feel the need to "park" such a large amount of money in the X-H3). Will the features of the X-H1, i.e. IBIS, be particularly important on safari when paired with the 100-400mm? I also assume the X-H1 has less potential to drop in price compared with the X-T2 with the release of the X-T3, which could help in resale.

I've been using my X-E2 for years and have always intended to upgrade at the next gen (after X-T2), but timing isn't ideal. I'm mainly concerned with IQ and nailing shots, which I haven't had too many issues with in the past, but that's typically with landscape and wider angles. I'm mainly wondering how different the performance will be in this kind of environment and at this focal length.

 rotini's gear list:rotini's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow