A last question about the Sony E 18-135 vs. 18-105

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Klburt Junior Member • Posts: 27
A last question about the Sony E 18-135 vs. 18-105

So after all the advice I got here on these two lenses (in favor, mostly, of the newer 18-135), I wanted to try both.   I actually bought the 18-105 off Amazon since they have a great return policy (it’s a lot cheaper than renting the lens, actually, as I only had to pay $7.50 for return shipping after using the lens for 2 weeks).

I was not overly impressed with IQ of the 18-105.   I took numerous shots with it and then with my kit 55-210, and frankly, I couldn’t tell much difference (and at times the latter was actually clearer).

Things I didn’t like about the 18-105:   (1). BIG.   I realized, using it, how much I had grown to enjoy the “smallness” of the Sony system.   If I want an “all around lens,” I want one that is easy to lug around.   This one just felt a little too big.    (2) Focusing.  I HATED the power zoom, as it took forEVER to zoom in from 18-105.   I gave up on it after a while and just turned the zoom ring, but it still seemed to take too long.  I was not able to go from 18-105 with one single turn of the hand.  (3) packing it.   This is related to the size/weight issue, but I have a single Sony bag that came free with my kit purchase, and I really value being able to carry all my lenses in it.  I simply cannot do that with the 18-105.

I have ordered the 18-135 next from Borrowlenses.com with a coupon, and plan to use it for a week.  If IQ is better, I plan to purchase it.  However, I handled one attached to an a6300 at our local Best Buy and had an immediate question:

Is the zoom ring a lot “stiffer” on this lens?  It was MUCH harder to turn than the zoom ring on my 55-210 or the 18-105 that I just tried.    There was a HUGE difference in “friction” or “torque” required to turn the zoom ring on this lens in store compared to the focusing ring.

I guess I’ll have my answer when my rental arrives, but I wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

Klburt's gear list:Klburt's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow