A last question about the Sony E 18-135 vs. 18-105

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 40
A last question about the Sony E 18-135 vs. 18-105

So after all the advice I got here on these two lenses (in favor, mostly, of the newer 18-135), I wanted to try both.   I actually bought the 18-105 off Amazon since they have a great return policy (it’s a lot cheaper than renting the lens, actually, as I only had to pay $7.50 for return shipping after using the lens for 2 weeks).

I was not overly impressed with IQ of the 18-105.   I took numerous shots with it and then with my kit 55-210, and frankly, I couldn’t tell much difference (and at times the latter was actually clearer).

Things I didn’t like about the 18-105:   (1). BIG.   I realized, using it, how much I had grown to enjoy the “smallness” of the Sony system.   If I want an “all around lens,” I want one that is easy to lug around.   This one just felt a little too big.    (2) Focusing.  I HATED the power zoom, as it took forEVER to zoom in from 18-105.   I gave up on it after a while and just turned the zoom ring, but it still seemed to take too long.  I was not able to go from 18-105 with one single turn of the hand.  (3) packing it.   This is related to the size/weight issue, but I have a single Sony bag that came free with my kit purchase, and I really value being able to carry all my lenses in it.  I simply cannot do that with the 18-105.

I have ordered the 18-135 next from Borrowlenses.com with a coupon, and plan to use it for a week.  If IQ is better, I plan to purchase it.  However, I handled one attached to an a6300 at our local Best Buy and had an immediate question:

Is the zoom ring a lot “stiffer” on this lens?  It was MUCH harder to turn than the zoom ring on my 55-210 or the 18-105 that I just tried.    There was a HUGE difference in “friction” or “torque” required to turn the zoom ring on this lens in store compared to the focusing ring.

I guess I’ll have my answer when my rental arrives, but I wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow