Dyes vs. pigments--is this still an issue?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KJC Regular Member • Posts: 104
Dyes vs. pigments--is this still an issue?

I am planning to buy either a Canon Pixma 100 or 10. Both are incredibly cheap right now with the mail-in rebate. I understand that the 100 uses dye-based inks, while the -10 uses pigment-based inks. I understand from posts here and others I've spoken with that both printers are very good and are very comparable in print quality. Years ago, I remember serious photographers favored pigments due to superior longevity, but have also heard that dyes have come a long way (and tend to present fewer issues with clogging print heads). Are the latest (e.g., Canon) dyes comparable to pigments in terms of longevity? Are there other considerations? Do they each have a distinctive "look"?

Also, I am planning to sell prints from this printer. This is my first printer, and I have no delusions as to being able to make tons of money (or any money) off of this--although I've had a number of museum/gallery exhibits, magazine covers, etc.

Hence, for connoisseurs of prints and print collectors (i.e., a portion of my presumed customer base), is the dye vs. pigment thing a consideration? Will print buyers favor pigments and think I'm an amateur for using dyes?

Thanks for your thoughts.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KJC
KJC
KJC
KJC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow