Who have better quality: 12-35 II pana or 12-40 zuiko?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Shirozina Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Should be very similar, but the Pana needs a UV 2A filter on Oly camera.

LingoDingo wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

LingoDingo wrote:

larsbc wrote:

FWIW, I didn't have any purple fringing problems when I shot my version 1 12-35/2.8 with my EM5.2. (I shoot in raw mode.)

I used to own a few ZEISS ZF.2 lenses ( 28mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 in Nikon F mount ) that I used with my Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras, but after using them for one year I sold them all because of the absolutely terrible chromatic aberration and purple-fringing that each of them displayed when shooting wide open.

Most of the time you would not see the problem, but anytime you shot a high contrast subject or a subject that was strongly back-lit these defects stood out like a sore thumb. Given that these were not cheap lenses, I expected much better performance from ZEISS glass.

Sounds more like the sensor was saturating or what's called 'blooming' in a back lit situation. CA ( lateral) doesn't general get better when you stop down either.

Nope. These ZEISS lense were just pretty crappy when it came to CA and purple-fringing despite their big reputation. I replaced them with Nikon lenses ( also adapted for Micro 4/3 ) and all of these issues instantly disappeared. No CA issues and no purple-fringing.

CA performance can go up or down depending on how each lens is designed, Here's a ZEISS ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 lens review where you can see a clear CA improvement as you close the lens down.

LensTip : ZEISS 35mm f/1.4 ZF.2 Lens Review

Ah you mean longditudinal CA. Many lenses unless they are Apo designs suffer from this. The Ziess lenses are better at Lateral CA so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow