Tell me why I shouldn't get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nathanhw
nathanhw Regular Member • Posts: 243
Tell me why I shouldn't get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85

I've shot with everything from the Nikon 1 series to Sony Full frame.

Currently I shoot with the Sony AFS-C system, but am thinking I'd like the better glass selection and lighter weight of the MFT world.

I tend to "run and gun" -- shoot while hiking, or sight seeing -- so smaller and lighter tends to matter more than for many enthusiasts.

I do require an EVF.

I want to get the best autofocus I can for shooting wildlife (within the constraints of size and weigh of the smaller MFT gear) since birds and occasionally something terrestrial are in my viewfinder.

I shot MFT several years ago, and used the original Panny 100-300mm and that was pretty mediocre, so I'd likely pick up their more recent v2 of that or the 100-400.

I am also a wide angle junkie, but it looks like MFT has me well covered for that these days.

About the only downside I'm seeing with the GX85 is that it lacks that panel shift feature that increased the effective resolution of still shots -- which I could see as useful for landscapes.

I realize the ergonomics of the small camera are troubling to some people but I find it a very small tradeoff for being able to take it anywhere.

I realize the lack of weather sealing is not ideal, but frankly I wouldn't be likely to limit my lens choices to those that are compatible in that regard, and the cost of moving up to a weather sealed camera almost covers just replacing this body....

What I am I failing to take into account?

nathanhw's gear list:nathanhw's gear list
Sony a6500
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow