TG-5 pet peeve, biasing slow shutter speeds

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
T R R Forum Member • Posts: 94
TG-5 pet peeve, biasing slow shutter speeds

For a camera geared towards capturing "action" I find it a little frustrating how hard it is to get it to use a faster shutter speed even when there is enough light. It seems to prefer around 1/60s in P, A or auto modes, even (in P mode) closing down the aperture in brighter light in order to attain this goal. At f/2.0 it's already a pretty small aperture in full frame equivalent terms, and you don't get sharper by closing it down, so I don't really understand. 1/60 fails to freeze just about any kind of action, even in some cases people who are actually posing for a photo.

A lack of shutter priority mode means I can't just dial in a 1/500s that I would really like.

Sport or kids scene modes do absolutely work, though they arguably go a little far in the other direction and favour high ISO at any cost - but I could deal with this except for their biggest issue which is that they force you into using the "Vivid" picture mode. Why???!

Anyway, that was just my little mini rant. My solution for now is just to use A mode and dial in a fixed ISO high enough to push my shutter speed. That way I can also remain conscious of how high I'm pushing ISO (beyond ISO 640 I know noise is a bit of an issue). But if the light I am in is changing (eg sun is going down or I move into shade) I have to keep on top of it or my shutter speed will keep slowing.

T R R's gear list:T R R's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Olympus TG-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow