Question about DPI usage when resizing images

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 19,831
Question about DPI usage when resizing images

Hey gang...

Here is a question that I need to get straight once and for all.  Whenever I create and downsize JPG's - either for web or for printing - I tend to use (by habit) a DPI setting of 300 dpi.  I tend to use the excellent batch conversion software, Irfanview, to create JPG's from my TIF files.

Now I've read at another site that DPI settings will affect sharpness - even when viewing on a PC.

For example - let's say I'm shooting with the 7.5 MP Panasonic DMC-L1 - a superb camera even to this date.  The TIF master files (which I created from RAW) look absolutely stunning - tack sharp as if they came from a camera twice or thrice the MP count.

However, when I create JPG's at let's say 2000 x 1532 x 24 (one of the size options in Irfanview), and when I leave it at 300 DPI, the end result (even when saved at a 100% quality setting) look far less sharp than the TIF Master.

And awhile back I believe I read somewhere that the inverse is true - that choosing a lower DPI setting increases sharpness - even when viewing on the PC (which is where I first proof an image obviously).

So what is your input in cases like this.  Do I increase DPI above 300, or do I go lower such as 240 or lower to make scenes sharper?

Thanks...

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X20 Samsung EX2F Fujifilm X30 +32 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow