Sigma 50-150: worth it to send off for repair?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
clweathers New Member • Posts: 6
Sigma 50-150: worth it to send off for repair?

Back in the day, i got to use a buddy's Sigma 50-150 f2.8 and i thoroughly enjoyed it and the results i had gotten.

fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, i picked one up in a trade as I had always wanted one even though they have been continued. I had gotten a newer version, the 50-150 f2.8II APO EX DC(glass is amazingly clean). Piddling with it I noticed its not sharp at any end. I took it to my LCS and had the camera and lens calibrated and it's still not sharp. The sweet spot seemed to be around f4(which isn't a big deal) but at this aperture, It's still pretty dang soft.

Sigma informed me they can't look at it, so I am contemplating sending it to one of their recommended repair shops that can take a look at a discontinued lens. My question is, is sharpness something than can be looked at/repaired? I have never had to send something in before and wanted to tap the knowledge of those that are "more smarter" than I.

Thanks in Advance!

clweathers's gear list:clweathers's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow