Tamron 18-250, accuracy of the distance dial

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
Tamron 18-250, accuracy of the distance dial

Some 9 years ago I bought the Tamron 18 - 250 zoom lens with K-mount for my Pentax DSLR:s. For some years this lens was used, always with AF. For several years it has then been placed in a drawer.

A months ago I started using this lens again, and it works reasonably well. Then I  thought that I might use it mounted on a   tripod, and use the lens in MF. To my surprise the dial painted on the lens has very little to do with the real distance adjustment of the lens! The longest distance marks on the lens are .... 7m, 30m and then the infinite mark. But the right infinite adjustment is just above the 7m mark of the lens, perhaps 1/3 of the distance to the 30m mark! This I noticed when my MF pictures were out of focus and I again used AF.

Is it normal that the distance dial of this lens, or this type of lens is unusable ?           (I still remember my old compact film camera for 35mm Kino film, where the distance dial was very accurate).

I haven't yet tested the accuracy of the distance dial of my other zoom lenses, however the dial on my Tamron 17-50 mm seems to be more accurate (?)

JahnG

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow