5D IV and Medium Raw - Less visible noise but what about dynamic range?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jay jay02
jay jay02 Regular Member • Posts: 493
5D IV and Medium Raw - Less visible noise but what about dynamic range?

Hi all 5DIV users

I recently switched from a 6D original (great camera!) to the 5DIV. I am loving it so far but I must say I was expecting better high ISO performance, I mean it's great, just not that much better then the 6D was. I recently came across a nice video on You-Tube by Dustin Abbott about why it is sometimes beneficial to downsample your photos / or use the Mraw setting (17 megapixels) to show less visible noise, so I thought I would give it a try.

Last weekend I shot a night show, the theme was WW1 (100 years this year!) in very dark conditions, I was easily hitting ISO 12800 and I must say I was very, very happy with the results. That autofocus nailed it on nearly every shot despite the lack of light and the images (for ISO 12800) were nice and clean, even viewed at full resolution.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and what the drawbacks were, does the dynamic range take a hit or is it identical to full size RAW?

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 jay jay02's gear list:jay jay02's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow