Please share experiences on Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2

Started Jul 9, 2018 | Discussions thread
Stian Olaisen
Stian Olaisen Regular Member • Posts: 322
Re: Please share experiences on Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2

I really like the lens. I had three copies of the nikon 24-70 2.8G, where one was really good. The tamron 24-70 G2 didn't quite have the center sharpness as the best of them but did indeed beat the two others. But the corner to corner sharpness was better than all the nikons and stopped down it is superb for a zoom lens. I haven't calibrated it as its great at all focal lenghts.

Here's one at 1/1600 which is actually just on the limit on what I could have in this shot. The boat I was standing on was going everywhere but the VC saved me.

Here's one of my son at 70mm and 2.8. I have added a touch of sharpness on this one but then again, who doesn't?

Sharpness are though not everything. When I do landscape or other shots (as portraits and such) against the sun the flare handling really surprised me. All my nikon zooms and primes just can't handle it whatsoever. Flare everywhere. But with the G2 I can push the aparture to F11 or even tighter and still not get so much flare.This one is with the sun in the lens, at F11 and 24mm (actually tried to see if I could get some flare) and all I got was a little bit at the shoe there. Tried every angle but that was it.

This one was without looking for flare whatsoever, just getting the shot. 24mm and f5.6.

Looking for flare again. F11 and focusing at the kid.

Looking at edge to edge here.

Against the sun at 2.8. Had to raise the shadows dramatically.

AF speed was really good, almost as good as the nikons and it feels really solid. Guess that's what I have to say about it for now before I do some more testing.

Stian Olaisen's gear list:Stian Olaisen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow