Prime's "Look" vs Zoom's Lack Thereof

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jameszhan
jameszhan Contributing Member • Posts: 592
Prime's "Look" vs Zoom's Lack Thereof

This is more of a discussion thread than an advice-seeking thread, and this discussion is the most relevant to street photography, people/portrait photography and wedding photography.

I read that some photographers prefer a combination of primes instead of a zoom not because the former have better optics (which is arguable), but because they give you a consistent and cohesive (sometimes more artistic) look.

For example, a portfolio that was shot with a 35mm and 85mm will have a more consistent look than one shot with a 24-70, because the zoom gives you a lot of small increments of FL (such as 24mm, 25mm, 26mm etc), which can make a portfolio look less cohesive.

Having browsed plenty of portfolios, I did find that using a combination of primes does give you a more consistent look, and most of the time I found those portfolios to be much more "artistic" and "characteristic." Going through my own galleries (not the ones in my signature), I did also find that the photos I took with 24-70 GM lack the cohesiveness the photos I took with my 85mm have.

I also noticed that for the photos I took with my 24-70 GM, most of them were taken either at 24mm or at 70mm.

Therefore, I'm debating selling my 24-70 GM for a 24/1.4 or 35/1.4 prime to complement my 85/1.4.

Do you think taking photos with primarily primes will render a more consistent and cohesive looking portfolio? Or do you think such a thing doesn't exist?

I know "it all depends," but I would like to hear what your input on this is.

jameszhan's gear list:jameszhan's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art
Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow