Sony - Likelihood of Larger Body Sizes in the Future

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dsol New Member • Posts: 2
Sony - Likelihood of Larger Body Sizes in the Future

Hi All, first post.

I'm getting back into photography after a 2 year lay off. I'm an enthusiast and far from a pro. Previously was 10 years with Canon shooting 5D. All my bodies and lenses have been sold off so I'm starting from scratch.

My original plan was to jump right back into Canon but have been quickly sold on mirrorless, specifically Sony (A7 iii). I'm 90% certain I will go down this path. My biggest concern is the smaller body size.I have tried an A7 III in store and it felt cramped and I found body balance to be off when paired with a G Master 24-70. I can understand the smaller body sizes as a point of differentiation in the earlier years but Sony's increasing range of bigger, heavier, faster and longer lenses, the increasing number of working photographers moving to Sony and the need for roomier ergonomics (both in terms of space and access to the dazzling array of features) really does necessitate larger bodies.

Building an ecosystem of Sony lenses is an expensive commitment. I would, however, be comfortable doing this and starting off with a smaller body for now if Sony were to come out with larger bodies in the future.

So, and this might be crystal balling into Sony's marketing and product strategy, what's the likelihood of Sony introducing body sizes that are similar to the 5D in their next generation of FF bodies? Do others feel that there's a sizeable mirrorless market that wants larger bodies that Sony can cater to in their FF range?

Many thanks

PS - I am aware of the battery grip but am not a fan of these options. I had one for a 20D years ago and it felt disconnected, just didn't feel as a good single piece machined body of a similar size. That and it doesn't change the width. Unless the Sony version of the grip is better than what was offered by Canon I don't like this option.

Canon EOS 20D Sony Alpha a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
C47
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow