Telephoto lens for landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jmiller2032
jmiller2032 Forum Member • Posts: 73
Telephoto lens for landscapes

Hi,

I’m going to be spending a week or so hiking and mountain biking in the Swiss/French alps and would really like to practice some telephoto landscapes. To me those are usually more interesting than wide angle stuff. I have two cameras, and one will have the 10-24 permanently mounted to it because, well, wide angle does have its purposes. I also own the following: 16, 23 f/1.4, 35 f/2, 56, 60 and 100-400. Since this area really isn’t known for wildlife, a lens dedicated to that purpose like the 100-400 is pretty unnecessary.

However, if I could only take what I currently own, I’d take the 60 and 100-400. That would pretty much cover all focal lengths I care for.

Nevertheless, I do see a lot of people praise the 50-140 as the ultimate landscape lens since it gets all that wonderful compression while being optically near perfect. It’s also a touch wider than the 60 and most importantly I won’t have to switch out lenses, ever. This is kind of big for me as I find I’m much more in the moment when I don’t have to switch lenses all the time.

At this point I don’t have the budget to buy and keep the 50-140 outright. Too many other financial priorities.

So should I buy a used 50-140, leave the 60 / 100-400 behind, and then sell either the 50-140 or 100-400? Or should I take what I have and stop worrying about gear I don’t own? Thanks.

jmiller2032's gear list:jmiller2032's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow