Camera and Photography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jwpnyc New Member • Posts: 23
Camera and Photography

First of all, I am an amateur for photography. I recently upgraded my camera from 7D to 5D4 and love the camera.

However, before I bought 5D4, I was struggling between Sony A7III and 5D4. Finally, I decided to buy 5D4 because I am very familiar with 7D and wanted a 5D for a while. After I brought 5D4, I read the Sony forum here. It made me to have 2nd thought if my decision to buy a Canon was correct one and it made me anxious. In the meantime, the new camera triggered my passion for photography, again. I read the posts here, watched online videos( BH youtube channel is excellent one) about photography and studied the works by some of great photographers.

After all reading, looking and studying, I think at the level of 5D4 and Sony A7III, there is no difference to make great photos. If you are a tech junkie, as myself, it is fine to have fun to concentrate on tech aspects of photography. But if you want to make great photos, the cameras at this level make no difference. I concluded there are three factors for making great photos.

1. Have fine arts training. It makes huge different if you have fine arts training. Fine arts training can separate a master photographer from other although both of them have wonderful skills and technical expertise. Fine arts training gives you the eye and sensitivity to see and to feel other skilled photographers can’t see and feel.

2. Technical knowledge and experience. In my opinion, experience is even more important than technical knowledge. So, it means keep shooting even you don’t know all aspects of technical knowledge. Best learning is through trial and error.

3. Luck and dedication. For an amateur as I am, luck plays great part of your photographic journey because you have to make living based upon non photographic means. For a professional photographer, both are important. You need to devote your passion and dedication into photography. You may have to spend all these time to catch just that single moment. Luck is important for photography. You have to be there at the right moment and at right place to make great photos.

Anyway, as an amateur or professional alike, a camera like 5D4 or Sony A7III makes no difference in the process of artistically creation especially in digital age when after-processing is so powerful.

It brings peace to my mind.

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow