Amazing... until it breaks so soon!!!

Started Jul 10, 2018 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HL Photography New Member • Posts: 1
Amazing... until it breaks so soon!!!

I bought this lens with an M100. The quality is great, low aberrations, very sharp (although this sharpness is really not needed). That is... until after using it for about 10 big events.

When I returned, I discovered some problems. When retracted, the camera still allowed me to capture an image. For some reason, the camera focused to infinity when the lens was in the lock position. The image wasn't the same; it was full of spherochromatism (like CA but in the center) and all white objects appeared to surround with a blue glow. Also, the distortion became more noticeable (pincushion) and corners were very soft, like an old vintage lens. I couldn't focus the lens and so had to move the lens 'zoom' between the dot and 15 for mid-close up. At 15, the lens is a despicable macro lens, and is heavily soft. It does, though, focus around 2cm close. At 45, it returns to infinity but cannot focus close. I think one of the elements inside has come loose. Also, the lens registers everything (aperture, corrections etc.) at 45mm so clearly it is very broken.

In other words, the lens is not suitable for photographers needing top build quality (like an f/2.8 or f/4 PRO zoom).

Personally, if you want a decent standard 3x zoom, stick with an 18-55mm (EF-M or -S). This is because the build quality is definitely better, you get f/5.6 rather than f/6.3, and these problems I had will not happen with these lenses (the lenses here are constructed differently.

Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF-M
Announced: Oct 13, 2015
HL Photography's score
Average community score
Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow