July 4th firework creativity

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dropnbassonu
dropnbassonu Regular Member • Posts: 168
July 4th firework creativity

Took a new creative approach this year to fireworks based on an article I read earlier in the day on Petapixel, link here Defocused fireworks .  Curious to hear some feedback and criticism.  I'll admit they definitely don't look like fireworks, and some people may not like them, but it's pretty cool to add another technique to your arsenal.

Typically I'll shoot fireworks around 1-4 seconds, f/8, and ISO 100. But for this new technique you shoot at much larger apertures, so a neutral density filter helps so you can keep a longer exposure time since you can't drop the ISO much anymore.

About the new approach:
Setup: Camera on a sturdy tripod, manual mode, manual focus, 1-4 second exposure (or bulb setting), f/1.4-f/8, ISO as low as you need for proper exposure.
Technique: Defocus the lens, then when you see a firework try to predict where it's going. Right before it explodes press the shutter and keep it down (if using bulb mode) until the firework has done its thing. During the exposure, quickly focus your lens on the firework before the colors have disappeared. End your exposure if using bulb mode.

All pictures have been resized and were shot off a tripod using a Sony a99ii and Zeiss 50/1.4 with ND2 filter.

I'll start off with a few traditional pictures and then get crazy...

dropnbassonu's gear list:dropnbassonu's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow