Sigma 170-500 apo - on Sony A58 - focusing ring

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PlatypusZ
PlatypusZ New Member • Posts: 8
Sigma 170-500 apo - on Sony A58 - focusing ring

Hello there,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me, in spite of my own limited technical skills (and English not being my first language => I don't always have the right vocabulary). I got the lens second-hand, and it was working, but just today some issue came up.

While the autofocus is still working, I cannot use the manual focus anymore (which I use most of the time because the autofocus is just too slow for birds among leaves): the ring is loose/does not "grip" anything anymore. I can move it, but it does not change the focus. (When I first switch from AF to MF, it works going one way, but once it is at one "extremity", it just won't move anymore. The ring moves, but nothing happens.)

Right before that happened, I noticed that for 5 minutes, when I switched from AF to MF, the focus would be changed (which it did not usually do).

Of course, I am this weekend on a trip to a birding place.... any way I can fix it, even temporarily?
Thank you!

PlatypusZ's gear list:PlatypusZ's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow