Minolta AF 35-105 F3.5-4.5 VS Sony AF DT 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
AntonJA
AntonJA Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: Minolta AF 35-105 F3.5-4.5 VS Sony AF DT 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM

cplunk wrote:

I'd prefer using the Minolta 35-105 over the Sony 18-55, but it's kinda a preference thing, I wouldn't really consider it an upgrade. Unless I was seriously lacking funds, I'd keep the 18-55, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade in an 18-55 for a 35-105....

As I said earlier, what's with this "replace"?

I treat the 35-105 as an outdoor lens and the 18-55 as an indoor lens.
And truth be told, I don't do as much indoor work (I'm not a studio type, never was) as I used to.

Consensus amongst most is that they like the shorter lenses, especially on APS-C format digitals, so you might want to put some really serious consideration into whether you want to be stuck with only a longer lens. (You don't always have to follow the crowd, but it's always a good idea to understand where they are going and why).

Yes, the step from full-frame/film to APS-C  was a bit disconcerting, and I've needed to get my head around the different 'focal length' and DoF issues.   But I had a lot to 'unlearn', though many newcomers won't have that hurdle.

Yes, understanding the 'why' other people make the decisions that do is important.

AntonJA's gear list:AntonJA's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Fujifilm FinePix F600 EXR Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Samsung Galaxy S III +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow