highly recommended

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pshaffer New Member • Posts: 1
highly recommended

I would give this my highest rating - with the understanding that NO camera does everything you would like. My rating is based on value - price for the quality and features you get.

What I love - massive zoom with a quality lens. Goes from macro to a 50x zoom. You will not have to spend many thousands of dollars for 5 or 6 lenses, and you will not have to lug them. For travel photography, this is fantastic - a single camera that does it all -pretty much. I really do NOT want to carry around a backpack full of gear when I am traveling.

What I like: Image quality is very good. I shoot HDR, and it brackets fairly well for this - 3 Shots with a one EV bracket. I also like the 10/sec maximum rate - great for dynamic subjects like animals or kids. The GPS is a nice feature - built in. Nikon cameras, you have to buy an expensive add on. This is great when you are traveling, you get home, and wonder "where did I take that one", its right there in the file info.

What I don't like - 1)Detest the sony batteries. After a while, they lose charge too quickly for my taste. I have 3 batteries and even after charging, they won't hold charge for weeks or months if not used. If they are charged, and then set on the shelf, after a time, they will need to be re-charged. I worry that my camera may be obsoleted in the future by unavailability of batteries.

2) can't use filters over the lens - I want to shoot with a polarizing filter at times, and it cannot be done.

3) There is no RAW capability. This for me, is a negative and a positive. Yes, I would like to have more latitude when processing images, but my instinct to shoot everything RAW would probably cause serious problems with my hard drive capabilities at home.

I will be buying a Nikon D750 soon in order to shoot night shots. The sensitivity of the chip in the Sony is inadequate to do astro photos, etc. Also, the Nikon will bracket for HD better. However, compare the Sony and its capabilities and price to this: The Nikon will cost a minimum of $1700 for the body. I have about $2000 of lenses from an older film Nikon that I can use and therefore don't have to buy, and they only partially cover the range in the Sony.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 1200 mm (50×)
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
pshaffer's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
okay
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
mediocre
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Nikon D750 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow