Sigma 150-600 Sport - Some Thoughts (Images)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,587
Sigma 150-600 Sport - Some Thoughts (Images)

Hi all,

I have been a Nikon shooter for all my photography life. A week or so ago, I managed to get reservations to photograph the coastal bears at Lake Clarke in Alaska and thus decided to finally purchase a telephoto zoom. The choice was between the Nikon 200-500 and the Sigma 150-600 Sport. My experience with the Nikon has been pretty bad. Long story short, I got two copies of the lens and both were not sharp at 500 mm. I tried to fine tune my copies, but they still were not sharp. Honestly, I haven't seen many photos that are really sharp with the 200-500 lens.

I stumbled upon Nasim Mansurov's review of the lens at https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-200-500mm-f5-6e-vr. He found that the Sigma 150-600 Sport was significantly sharper than the Nikon at 500mm (he posted the test graphs that show the same findings and I have appended them below). Additionally, he also found that the Nikon 200-500, while sharp at 500mm at close distances, is soft at 500mm when focused at infinity or longer distances. This pretty much mirrored my experience too.

As you can see the Sigma is sharper than the Nikon. I was looking to buy the Nikon, but after two copies and seeing pics online, decided to go with the Sigma. I got my lens last week and calibrated it using the Sigma dock. The importance of this dock cannot be stressed enough. Whereas you can fine tune a Nikon on the D850, you can do so using the Sigma dock at 4 different focal lengths (150mm, 250mm, 400mm and 600mm) AND 4 different focus distances - a total of 16 points. This is huge in making sure that the lens focuses correctly. I took my lens for a spin a couple of days ago and couldn't believe how sharp this lens was (especially compared with the Nikon).

All in all, I am supremely happy with this lens so far and am looking forward to shooting the bears in two weeks. Highly recommended. I am appending some images below.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +2 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow