5D Mark IV: Metering and Focus points...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RTPhotography New Member • Posts: 1
5D Mark IV: Metering and Focus points...

Hi all, new on these forums but have been following DPReview for a long time. I need some explaining of the metering system for light and focus in Canon 5D Mark IV as neither documentation or things I read explain it in a way I can find answers I need... Maybe you can correct me or help me find answers...
When using the camera outdoors, I work in M mode on the camera and use a light meter but I'm trying to work without more often in AV mode or P. Only, I don't understand the following completely...
- Light metering (spot metering) is only done in the center of the camera if the AF point is selected there? Correct? If you move the single spot AF point out of the center of the camera, the focus is still metered from there but the light metering is not?

- To my understanding, I use the back button configuration, metering of light and focus is triggered by this back button at the same press, so how do you focus on one point outside the center (for focus and sharpness) while still reading the light of a middle gray area...?

I'm so confused about this...
Basically I would want to use any of the 62 AF points to focus on the eye of a model and take a reading with the camera on a middle gray area using the center of the camera...

Thanks for all tips that may me help me understand...
RT

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow