"Once-in-a-lifetime" trip with one lens -- the 18-135

Started Jul 4, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lens_Goat Contributing Member • Posts: 623
"Once-in-a-lifetime" trip with one lens -- the 18-135

Some of you may remember back to the thread where I sought the confirmation of everyone for my determination of taking but one lens with me out west. I didn't think with the frenzied pace of the trip and the prospect of repeatedly sullying my sensor that it made much sense to bring along another lens to swap in and out. Many of you tried to reason with me but my obstinance prevailed in the end. I took the one lens -- the 18-135 -- and left the Sigma 16 at home for the 10 day adventure. Truth be told, I have no regrets. I think I stretched the patience of my brother, who does not have the same picture-taking proclivities as I and everyone here does, with my snap shooting and constantly changing lenses may have made him more irate.

Denver represented both endpoints of the trip, in between we visited 5 National Parks -- Rocky Mountain, Canyonlands, Arches, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone -- not to mention many other sites along the way. All told, we put 2,000 miles on the rental, which we nearly totaled had my brother not swerved into a small opening between the vanguard and second elks of a herd crossing the highway one evening.

Here are some of the pictures I took.

Maroon Bells -- one of, if not, the most photographed places in the country.

The Grand Tetons from Schwabachers Landing.

I saw her at the bottom of the road to Guanella Pass. She was in the road then scurried to a ledge to pose. She's a bit ragged looking but believe me she cleans up nicely. Plus, she's horny.

Close up of the Grand Tetons.

Delicate Arch, the most recognizable symbol of Arches National Park, is (as you can see) a popular attraction. Most images of the famous arch are void of context. Captured here are the throngs of visitors gathered in this "amphitheater" of sandstone as if to await the performance of some artist within the arch.

My rendition of Ansel Adams' famous photograph. While he had more dramatic clouds and punier pines not obstructing the bend of the Snake River, mine is better. If you haven't seen his yet, please do not look it up. Just take my word for it that mine is better.

Canyons upon canyons -- Canyonlands National Park, Utah.

While leaving Yellowstone, in the Shoshone National Forest to be precise, my brother spotted bears in the woods off the road. I spun around and we got out to have a look. A vigilant mother grizzly and her two cubs were moving swiftly through the woods towards the road, at which point we ran back to the car. I then got this shot. It should be said, the mother grizzly looked both ways before crossing. I have done an indeterminate amount of hikes in New York, Vermont and New Hampshire and I have never once seen a bear in the wild (not that I particularly want to) whereas in just one day at Yellowstone I saw 6.

A roaring brook. The absence of the vegetation partially obscuring Grand Teton would make the composition work as I had wanted it to.

An overlook on the road to Independence Pass and eventually Aspen. In the Northeast you need to put in effort for such vistas.

Build me a home where the Buffalo roam. Got a lifelong fill of them at Yellowstone.

Up close and personal with a buffalo. He prefers buffalo wings to bison burgers.

So much foliage-less Pine is mesmerizing.

So effortlessly beautiful out there. This shot taken but a few yards form a Taco John's drive-thru in Codi, Wyoming. An otherwise inauspicious spot for us Northeasterners to capture such natural beauty.

The Roosevelt Arch at the northern entrance to Yellowstone.

Grand Prismatic Spring releasing its sulphuric juices into the Firehole River.

Mammoth Springs and southern Montana.

The Great Salt Lake.

The Great Salt Lake again.

The Great Salt Lake sand.

Sunset from the vicinity of Delicate Arch.

My brother at Twin Lakes in Colorado. Who wouldn't want to have a picnic here?

Requisite Mormon Barn and Tetons juxtaposition.

Lens_Goat's gear list:Lens_Goat's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow