300 f4 with 1.4TC or 200-500?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Re: 300 f4 with 1.4TC or 200-500?

Even though I've never owned one, I agree with those advocating the 200-500.

I shoot with the AF-S 300 f4D and TCs, but arthritis has had its way with my hands for decades, so haven't been able to get a sharp long lens shot in many years unless the camera is on a tripod or monopod. My hand-held technique is no longer adequate.

When Nikon introduced the D5 and D500, and before they were available in stores, Nikon conducted a series of demos at various camera shops around the country and I attended one. After the lecture/slide show, the attendees got to fiddle with demo models. I was handed a D500 with a 200-500 on it, and in the course of fiddling with it, I set it to aperture priority, opened the aperture to 5.6, and took a 200 mm shot of a poster on the wall on the far side of the store (night-time interior lighting). Looking at the image on the LCD, it was SHARP! I immediately assumed it was a fluke and couldn't be reproducible, so I zoomed to 500, selected a different poster, and took another shot just to prove my point. That image was sharp, too. If the VR in the 200-500 can cope successfully with my awful hand holding, it has to be amazing. Highly recommended.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow