Canon 5D markIV focusing problems

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JLaine New Member • Posts: 4
Canon 5D markIV focusing problems

Hello there. So I have been testing and experiencing strange behaviour with my 5D. I take photos for living, and have good skills for noticing problems on gear (at least I think so). Had really bad problems with my sigma 35mm ART and Canon 5D mk4, problems that I never encountered with 6D and sigma 35. Well Sigma had to to, and updated to Canon 35mm f/1.4 Lii, seemed like everything was ok. The canon lens was super sharp, af was snappy and it produces nice results. On home testing It rarely missed focus, focus was spot on on different distances, even wide open, from really close up photos to really far landscapes.

So on the field, taking photos on weddins, outside, good lightning and easy circumstances. Especially on bright/or backgrounds it misses the focus with the 35mm, it doesn't focus to the background but not quite on the subject either, it seems like it focuses sometimes a bit on front and sometimes bit on back, and sometimses it hits the target. Maybe 50/50 ratio or a bit less. Left side focus points are almost unusable, they rarely hit the target, right side on other hand works fine. I'm familiar with recomposing and know the technique (recomposing on home test it was hard to get the target out of focus).

So bottom line, home testing everything is rock solid and works as supposed to. On field the problems starts. My question here is, is there something wron with the body, have had it year and a half now. Dust on af sensor? Af sensor misalignment. Or do I just have higher expectations from this body, regarding that I'm coming from 6D, when my skills were bad, and now I expect some improvements, af quality and photo quality wise?

Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow