sony 35mm 2.8 what justifies the price?

Started Jul 2, 2018 | Discussions thread
JohnNEX Senior Member • Posts: 1,891
Re: sony 35mm 2.8 what justifies the price?

That lens was announced at the same time as the first A7 camera, back in 2013.

There is a kind of "equivalent" lens in APS-C, the Zeiss 24/1.8, which costs over $1,000.

In terms of technical specs and MTF charts etc the lens is pretty good but not great.

The price tag is high, no question. There is a premium to pay for the Zeiss label, of course.

It comes down to how much you think the "Zeiss pop" really exists or not, and how much you value compact-ness, which is a key selling point of the lens.

The Samyang version of the lens is well regarded, so there is a genuine alternative if you want it. Here is a direct quote from a 'review' of the Samyang on the B+H website:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1348365-REG/samyang_syio35af_e_35mm_f2_8_compact_wide.html

"This Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is a gem. It's light, sharp, and inexpensive. I also own the Sony's 35mm f/2.8 ZA when I first got my a7riii. I did a little research on YouTube and found out that this Samyang is even sharper. I bought this Samyang along with a brand new a7III recently. I tested both Samyang and Sony Zeiss on both a7riii and a7iii. On the a7iii, their image quality is indistinguishable. However, when mounted it on the a7rIII, the Samyang is a titbit sharper than my Sony Zeiss. I'm selling my Sony Zeiss... "

I am not claiming that this review is totally correct (and you should not base anything on one review only), but most comments on the lens are very positive. Some people are a bit sceptical of Samyang lenses (sometimes with good reason) but this lens seems to be solid.

ephotozine thought the Samyang was excellent:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-af-35mm-f-2-8-fe-review-31097

JohnNEX's gear list:JohnNEX's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow