Tokina 11-20 for Nikon - Used or new? Other suggestions?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bkjones88
bkjones88 Regular Member • Posts: 154
Tokina 11-20 for Nikon - Used or new? Other suggestions?

I have another thread in the Nikon section about my ultrawide saga, but I figured it made sense to start a new one here specifically regarding Tokina. Long story short: amateur photographer, into landscape photography, want an ultrawide zoom. Several people recommended the new Nikon 10-20 f/4.5-5.6 so I bought one. However, I'm not very impressed with the image quality, and also the copy I got seems to have a defect where I can't get the left and right sides of the frame in good focus simultaneously. More likely than not, I'll be returning it and don't really want another Nikon 10-20.

I still am interested in an ultrawide though. After more research, the Tokina 11-20 jumps out. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the consensus is that it's one of the sharpest ultrawides, edge-to-edge, for the consumer DX market in this price range. I'm also intrigued by the f/2.8 max aperture. I know big apertures aren't for landscapes, but I'm going to Ireland in September (thinking interiors of cathedrals, castles, etc.) and maybe I'll try my hand at astrophotography one day. Who knows. I don't really mind the extra half pound or so it weighs over the Nikon. Truth be told, I find heftier lenses more stable and easier to shoot with.

I see used 11-20s on KEH for about $100 more than I paid for the Nikon. I've heard very good things about that site, and I'm OK with the price difference as long as it's that much better than the Nikon. A new lens would be roughly another $80 on top of that, and I'm getting more leery as the price approaches $500.

I guess my main questions are: 1) is the Tokina the lens I'm looking for, or is there something else I should be taking a close look at?; and 2) if the Tokina is the way to go, is a new copy worth $80 more than a used one from KEH?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 bkjones88's gear list:bkjones88's gear list
Nikon D3400 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow