How to get beautiful and smooth skin tone in camera with A7III

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 1,755
How to get beautiful and smooth skin tone in camera with A7III

While Sony skin tones has significantly improved, still, Sony skin tone/color transition is still not smooth as Canon and Nikon, this leads to the amplification of skin pores and imperfections.

I've tried out different creative styles and the "portrait" creative style caught my attention, by default the skin tone and colors are too flat, dark and lacks punch, so what I did was simply adding +1 contrast and add +0.3 to 0.6 ev exposure compensation, this is the result that I've got with this morning experiment:

While there's some green cast due to heavy green foliage (Which the A7III handles far better than even the latest 5D Mark IV), this is hand down, the most beautiful and smoothest SOOC skin tone I've ever seen out of any camera including the much vaunted 5D Mark III which is considered to be the "gold standard" for skin tone, and this is actually quite smoother and better. The skin tone on the picture look faaaaaaaar smooooother than the model's actual skin.

While you might say, "oh this is just Jpeg, who cares, just shoot raw and adjust in post". Prior to this, using default standard or neutral +2 saturation, when I showed the photos preview on the back of the screen to my clients they would usually complain about how all the pores and pimples and wrinkles that they had on their face because the skin tone was not smooth and the imperfections get amplified

This time with this portrait + 1 contrast creative style (and +0.3 to + 0.6 to expose the skin correctly), the models were downright ecstatic when they looked at the preview on the screen, and this is a big morale boost to the model and help them pose and act better (especially in 33 degrees celsius heat. )

You can also, of course easily achieve the same look or even better in adobe lightroom. By default Sony camera color profiles in lightroom have too much green and camera portrait profile is the worse, you can fix this by going to the calibration tab and push the Green hue slider till you get rid of the vast majority of the green cast, might want to reduce red primary saturation, play around with the yellow and green in HSL tab, increase contrast slightly and also slightly reduce clarity.

Adobe Camera portrait profile, notice that there's too much green compared to SOOC Jpeg:

My quick edit, take less than 2 minutes and can copy/ paste setting to the whole album:

Settings used:

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow