New Panny Leica 50-200 Soft @ 200mm :(

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,257
Re: Defective lens, return.

whumber wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

whumber wrote:

What I actually said.

I think the biggest takeaway is that the new 50-200 absolutely destroys the 40-150 + 1.4x if you want to shoot at 200/210mm. (PL => 73 lp/mm, O => 52 lp/mm).

If you don't think a 40% difference in linear sharpness qualifies as destroying the competition

Well, if you adjust those numbers to the 16mp sensor that the 50-200 was tested on, then the difference will be smaller, probably closer to 10 lp/mm than 20 as shown above. And that is only a measurement at the longest end, so hardy a full picture. Adding in the natural sample variation and the picture is not as clear cut as it seems at first glance.

That's certainly true, but Lenstip also claims that there's only a small (5-7 lp/mm) difference in results between the E-PL1 and the E-M5ii.

Sounds about right. Depends on the lens and aperture as well. But if this applied here, then it certainly is not an insignificant difference in this case. That accounts for a quarter of the "gap" between the lenses.

The question is, does it apply? It might  be that Olympus TC is so horribly bad that it's already past the point where you could have gotten any gains from higher res sensor. In that case the gap would simply grow more as you increase sensor resolution. Not sure how likely that is.

I think we actually had a discussion about this a few months ago. I'm still not sure I believe that claim from them though. Sample variation is certainly a factor but quite a few sources show poor results from the 40-150 + 1.4x combo, including my own experience, so I'm inclined to believe that Lenstip's 40-150 results are reasonable.

I'm not really arguing that their results are not reasonable. Or the fact that Oly 40-150 + TC seems to perform worse at 200mm than the 50-200 at 200mm. I'm just saying that this does not give you a full picture and that the gap might not necessarily be as huge as it seems. But hey, maybe it is, who knows.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow