How do you carry heavy lenses like 600mm f/4?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,723
Re: How do you carry heavy lenses like 600mm f/4?

I carry a big lens mounted on a tripod or monopod over my left shoulder (always my left, my right hand has my cane). I've always attached tripod heads firmly and never had one loosen on a tripod in the past 50+ years.

As for the lens detaching from the head, there's a solution for that. I use this Manfrotto MH54 ball head.

In addition to the turn-knob for tightening the release plate in place in the head, the head has a spring-loaded safety pin that engages the release plate in all cases. The metal part at B fits into a space on the underside of the release plate, which shaped such that the plate cannot slide out of the head unless the pin A is pressed inward while sliding the plate from the head. So if the screw-in tightener isn't actually secure and the plate suddenly moves while hiking, the plate cannot fall out of the head.

I have an old style gimbal head with the same feature for the release plate. No worries.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow