New Panny Leica 50-200 Soft @ 200mm :(

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
MShot
MShot Senior Member • Posts: 3,451
Re: Defective lens, return.

I don't believe the test measurements, and I have a use for f/2.8 below 300mm. I do like the additional range of the Panny with the 1.4 and 2XTC. But it loses too much light with the TC's for early morning and evening light I often find myself in when I'm shooting something that needs a 1/500 shutter speed. Same thing with shooting in rain and gloom I often do since I live in Seattle. ISO goes too high losing detail. Above 3200/6400 fun, but I don't keep them. Cropping a lower ISO image turns out better in my experience. I prefer cropping an image shot at lower ISO.

I can be happy with either lens, I just don't believe the 50-200 "destroys" the 40-150. I enjoyed the OLY 50-200. The 40-150PRO is better, not sharper enough to matter. I don't think it is, but it doesn't control some things like chromatic aberration as well so in the end the cropped 40-150PRO images were colder but better except when the 50-200 made beautiful bokeh, and the 40-150PRO bokeh of similar images was UGLY.

MShot's gear list:MShot's gear list
Olympus C-5050 Zoom Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow