New Panny Leica 50-200 Soft @ 200mm :(

Started Jun 22, 2018 | Discussions thread
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,395
Re: Defective lens, return.

drj3 wrote:

whumber wrote:

That's certainly true, but Lenstip also claims that there's only a small (5-7 lp/mm) difference in results between the E-PL1 and the E-M5ii. I think we actually had a discussion about this a few months ago. I'm still not sure I believe that claim from them though. Sample variation is certainly a factor but quite a few sources show poor results from the 40-150 + 1.4x combo, including my own experience, so I'm inclined to believe that Lenstip's 40-150 results are reasonable.

I have neither of the lenses, so I have no idea how the 40-150+TC would compare to the 50-200, however, I have great reservations about Lenstip and their measurements since they went to the 16MP sensor. The say 5-7 lp/mm, but then found no difference between the two sensors with the Olympus 25mm f1.2.

They found the Olympus 45 f1.2 to have over 96 lp/mm with the 16MP sensor, but the Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 to be a little under 82 lp/mm with the older sensor. The Olympus is probably a little sharper, but over 14 lp/mm greater with the 16MP sensor appears to be a little hard to believe.

I don't disagree with you on this at all, I got trashed by many on this forum for making this exact claim about 5 months ago. Heck, Astrotripper essentially even called me a liar who would hide any results that don't agree with suggestion but he now seems to have done an about face and agrees the results aren't, in fact, directly comparable.

Astrotripper wrote:

whumber wrote:

I could very well do that but I'm extremely confident that even if I went through the effort many would just dismiss any results they don't agree with due to the test being different.

And I am extremely confident you would not show those results as they would very much agree with Lenstip's findings. Your whole issue with their measurements is based on a false premise (as bolded).

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow