New Panny Leica 50-200 Soft @ 200mm :(

Started Jun 22, 2018 | Discussions thread
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,355
Re: Defective lens, return.

MShot wrote:

This is a 2.5 inch long bird. Individual feathers cannot be seen with the naked eye at 5 feet. Lens is mounted on a 16MP body, might be more detailed on a 20MP sensor but what for?

Post an image from a PL lens that is 40% sharper than this one at 210mm and explain how the delta was calculated. It won't look any less detailed to the naked eye.

Why are you using a picture at 150mm to make your point? Have you ever even used the 1.4x TC or have you missed what I wrote? Here's a comparison between the 40-150 @ 150 f/2.8 and 40-150 + 1.4x @ 210mm f/4.0.

Then explain the comment "The PL lens destroys the OLY lens".

You're still arguing against a point I'm not making, please don't put quotes around things I haven't written.

I think the biggest takeaway is that the new 50-200 absolutely destroys the 40-150 + 1.4x if you want to shoot at 200/210mm. (PL => 73 lp/mm, O => 52 lp/mm).

The issue at hand is the 40-150 @ 210mm with the 1.4x TC. It's quite soft, especially wide open. If it was just my copy I would brush it off but Lenstip and Photozone both see the same behavior so it's clearly not that uncommon unless Olympus is the most unlucky company ever.

The below shots are just a comparison between the bare 40-150 and with TC wide open. Focus distance is about 40ft and the bare lens shot is upscaled to match the size of the TC shot. You can see that the lens is so soft wide open at this distance with the TC that the bare lens upscaled is pretty much just as sharp as the TC shot but with better contrast. I find the difference is less closer to MFD but still noticeable.

40-150 Pro @ 150mm | f/2.8

40-150 Pro + 1.4x TC @ 210mm | f/4.0

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow