New Panny Leica 50-200 Soft @ 200mm :(

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,230
Re: Defective lens, return.

whumber wrote:

What I actually said.

I think the biggest takeaway is that the new 50-200 absolutely destroys the 40-150 + 1.4x if you want to shoot at 200/210mm. (PL => 73 lp/mm, O => 52 lp/mm).

If you don't think a 40% difference in linear sharpness qualifies as destroying the competition

Well, if you adjust those numbers to the 16mp sensor that the 50-200 was tested on, then the difference will be smaller, probably closer to 10 lp/mm than 20 as shown above. And that is only a measurement at the longest end, so hardy a full picture. Adding in the natural sample variation and the picture is not as clear cut as it seems at first glance.

qualifies as destroying the competition (and that's ignoring the garbage bokeh the 40-150 produces, especially with the TC) then I don't know what does.

Actually, I would say the tendency to produce unpleasant bokeh on Oly is a bit more definite disadvantage here.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow