Baby coming: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or Nikon Af-p 18-55

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,689
Re: Baby coming: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or Nikon Af-p 18-55

I haven't owned either lens, so I'm responding on the philosophy, not because of experience.

Faster glass is better than higher ISO - for keepsake photos (think "Grandma-worthy"), there shouldn't be much doubt that you'll be happier with a faster lens.

My question is - how comfortable are you with the manual focus lens? Shooting wide open would mean no need to adjust aperture when shooting, so that 50 mm lens could be quite good, at least to start. Until your Princess gets up and starts walking, keeping up with her using a manual focus lens should be easy. Doing that will also give you a chance to learn whether you think you really need autofocus once she's up and moving. That's the point in time when you need to make your decision. My recommendation is, you don't need to decide right now - wait and learn for a while.

As for things being tight, get used to that. Take heart however, it will ease up - in 30 or 40 years.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
OCD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow