DXO PhotoLab Elite - to buy or not to buy

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Chizuka
OP Chizuka Regular Member • Posts: 487
Re: Heck, yes.

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Chizuka wrote:

i hope this is an appropriate question to ask.

I would like to purchase DXO Photolab Elite and I am wondering what a good sale would be. I have tried it for 30 days and I am impressed with the Noise Reduction, for one.

Right now, it is 25% off. Is that as good a sale price as I can get?

Also, given the company’s financial problems, Should I refrain from buying it ?

thank you all for your advice.

Often there have been sales around the end of the year with 30-50% off.

I love PhotoLab and use it in conjunction with Lightroom. Lightroom serves as my DAM. I occasionally use it for local retouching. I'm basically not a retoucher, though. I run hundreds of event photos at a time through PhotoLab, and the workflow is super-efficient, as PhotoLab (with some custom presets) requires less tweaking to get what I want than any other RAW processor I've used (including C1 Pro, Aperture, and Lightroom). Detail extraction and noise reduction are probably the best you can get. Sometimes I can match the results in Lightroom, but only with a whole lot of manual work. With 1000 photos shot and 300 to deliver from an evening awards gala, I just don't have time. PhotoLab is an absolute must-have for my event photo business, and I bought a Mac Pro just to take advantage of it's near-perfect multi-core scalability, which greatly speeds up batch exports.

I'd gladly pay a lot more for PhotoLab. And, the prospect of more powerful local adjustment tools coming in the near future is super exciting.

Thank you very much Jacques for your comment. I am not a professional so it is harder to justify the cost but I have been impressed with the noise reduction capabilities on the Lumix G9 and will definitely buy it, but trying to get best price.

-- hide signature --

“Make visible what, without you, might perhaps never have been seen.” -
Robert Bresson.
https://500px.com/blue_iris
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chizuka/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow