To Switch from M43 System or Another Solution

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,826
To Switch from M43 System or Another Solution

I have been following a couple of current threads about changing systems from Nikon to M43. These treads crop up regularly.

Before I begin, you can see from my posting history that I am an enthusiastic M43 user, but this switching from Nikon business leaves me a little perplexed.

I switched from a Nikon D300 based system to M43 a few years ago. M43 seemed a better fit for my photographic interests at the time. I was doing a lot of hiking and the D300 with the lenses I needed to bring back results was getting heavy. The quality of the newer EM5 was about the same as the old D300.

I found IBIS a great tool when I visited dark old Italian monuments, my other photographic passion at the time.

I was happy with this system until the other day when in a moment of madness, I bought a 28mm PC lens on Fleabay at a very good price. The 28 did not quite cut it on my old battered D300 that I kept because it is basically unsellable.
So, hunting around the net I found a D700 that a small shop down in Ancona wanted to offload. €390 seemed a good price for an A condition camera with a shutter count of 22000.

Now something unfortunate happened; I realised using it with the 28PC, that the D700 gives me files that have a certain quality that my M43 files do not have. Very intangible but there seems a smoothness and subtleness to these files that my M43 files just do not have. So, hunting around I bought a SH 24-120 F4 zoom to make it more usable.
Thanks to the range of the 24-120, the weight is about the same as the 2 lens, two body M43 I now hike with.

So how will this evolve for me and my photography. Well I see myself using two systems.
There will be situations where my M43 system will be a better fit for the task, especially where I need long lenses or a wide range of focal lengths. My EM5 will be still the tool of choice for “dark monument” shots thanks to its IBIS. For Hiking I will have to try the D700-24-120 in the field to see if it is better than carrying two M43 bodies and 3 lenses that give me a 7mm-100m range (14mm-200mm FF).

I see the D700 as the choice for my more reflective “artistic” explorations, thanks to the nicer IQ, or where I need subtler colour and tone transformations.

Conclusion, if you are serious about your photography, is not the case to consider running more than one system. You can do it quite cheaply now that digital cameras have matured and “obsolete” cameras still give great results and can be bought cheaply if you hunt around a bit. You can expand your photographic horizons greatly.
Your thoughts.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Nikon D300 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow