This thread is locked.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,767
Just numbers

Rick Knepper wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

That is a graph of Photographic Dynamic Range and not Dynamic Range. One is not the other. The DxO graphs of Engineering Dynamic Range more closely represent the actual Dynamic Range of the bodies/sensor, IMO

Has anyone ever compared the predictions of DxO and PDR against photographed transmission step wedges to see which more closely represents "actual Dynamic Range"?

I have at NAB during a demo. The DxO "numbers" seem to get pretty close to actual DR from a back-lit DR chart. And PDR, given how it is calculated, would obviously;y result in a lower "number" than the chart

This is wrong. My understanding is DxO's Engineering Dynamic range numbers are theoretical, not actual, which is rarely achieved in real life while PDR represents real life obtainable DR.

PDR numbers (in many cases) are derived from DxO data (if I read Bill's work right)...so it seems they are theoretical as well? The number you derive from say a DSC Labs back-lit High Dynamic Range Charts is not theoretical. Is that correct? I'm only saying  that the Engineering DR number (DxO) will be closer to the High Dynamic Range Chart number than the PDR number. All 3 are great tools...and have their uses

If I am wrong, I'd be happy for Bill to correct me.

I'm sure he will...a great guy. And I don't think you necessarily wrong. But I think, could be wrong, that PDR has a specific set of assumption and for a specific CoC which may or may not match all real world scenarios regards a specific sensors DR (and resulting capture/image) . DxO's numbers also have the same "real World" issue, IMO.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow