Acadia - first time out with the D500

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DBE Regular Member • Posts: 223
Acadia - first time out with the D500

So after the usual dithering about whether to upgrade from a D7100 to "something else" I decided to jump to the D500, both for work (I photograph children's events for my library) and personal projects, which are mostly landscape and street.  Rather than sell my workhorse APS-C lenses, I decided to see what the results would be when using them with a 'pro' body during a week-long visit to Acadia National Park in Maine.  Overall, I'm very happy, even with such pedestrian lenses as the 18-140mm and the Sigma 17-50.  The lower resolution does not seem to matter -- tests in photoshop indicate that sharp 20 x 30 inkjet prints are perfectly possible.

Acadia is a fantastic place to visit -- campsites are very reasonable even at peak season, and the park is small but has exceptionally varied scenery, with many small coastal Maine towns on Mt. Desert Island for food, photos and bed-and-breakfasts for the comfort inclined.  The first photo is a grab shot from the Thuya Garden just south of Asticou Inn - I happened to spot an odd looking 'bee' on one of the flowers and switched to 3D tracking to see how well the camera could track it.  It did well ...

Vertical crop from a horizontal image -- will make a very nice 12 x 18 print

And a couple from the park -- the rugged Maine coastline in all it's glory ..

I also convinced my wife to visit the Bass Harbor lighthouse at sunset and look the other way as I climbed down to the rocks at the base ...

Wildlife also abounds at the park -- saw some movement in the woods surrounding the lighthouse and spotted a young buck feeding in the brush.  Very pleased that the D500 locked on to the deer while ignoring the surround twigs, even with the consumer grade 18-140 lens.

And no visit to the park would be complete without an evening at Bar Harbor, where the sunsets are pretty incredible (developed from RAW, but no bump in vibrance or saturation).

Thanks for looking .. C&C welcome.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Nikon D500 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow