Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,035
car

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

The single frame difference between a 5D IV (13.6ev) and a D850 (14.8ev) would be nearly impossible to see in print.

That's not always the case. For example...Some of Peter Lik's work is done specifically to show exactly that. Now, you have to see it printed on his paper and lit the way he intends...But if you go to some of his galleries ( a very commercial enterprise) they show a demo that does indeed show the dif in an obvious way...the difference you speak of.

He specifically has 5D IV and D850 prints side by side and there's a significant shadow difference to speak of?

He actually stated with a D800 as it was the first Digital body he used as he thought the DR finally reached a point that he could exceed what he was getting with film. The demo I saw was not a 5D IV. I thought it was a D800 and D3X and one of his film bodies.

And he didn't...eh..."tweak" the differences through post processing?

Looked to me like he was just max performing all.  There are also really big prints so that may have an effect

I would have to see it to believe it. And not just the prints, but the RAWs and the full processing history.

The silver-halide paper has a lot to do with it (IMO) as well as the lighting.  That said....he makes his money "selling" in a way that would make the best car salesman jealous.  But...the images are pretty impressive on their own.   I would never pay those prices for one though.   It';s almost a "selling" scheme

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow