Dynamic Range, again Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
sceneIt Contributing Member • Posts: 616
Re: Same ??

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

sceneIt wrote:

True but when you spend 3-4k you're expecting the camera to work in those rare cases. It's part of the reason people drop big bucks on a camera, to do work in conditions where lesser cameras will fail miserably.

That's a binary view of a situation which is not binary.

Your camera does not refuse to fire when scene DR exceeds sensor DR. It's up to you how much detail you capture/recover through exposure, HDR techniques, GND filters, or fill lighting. Or just using NR during shadow recovery to make details which don't pass a strict DR test acceptable for use in a real world print.

The single frame difference between a 5D IV (13.6ev) and a D850 (14.8ev) would be nearly impossible to see in print. The difference between Canon cameras with off-chip ADCs (roughly 11-12ev) and a D850 would probably only stand out in print if the two prints were side by side. And large, i.e. 16x20 or more. 12ev or even 11ev is not "failing miserably."

I have seen images from old technology where the lack of shadow detail and blocked up shadows stand out even without a side-by-side comparison to modern tech, and even at smaller sizes like 8x10. What tech am I talking about? E6 slide film with 6-8ev of DR.

Oddly enough I’m pretty happy with my 6D II. I don’t know how DR works really (lots of fuzzy logic here) but it seems to have a lot of it. Is it perfect, no, but as you state part of the challenge is working with the gear you have and getting the result you want despite all the limitations.

sceneIt's gear list:sceneIt's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow