Esentually Perfect, Sort Of.

Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,056
Esentually Perfect, Sort Of.

The new Sony 18-135 mm lens is kind of an up end kit lens and I'm pretty happy with it up to this point. In a perfect world, it would be wider, longer, faster, smaller and cheaper, but the world isn't perfect and I'm happy with the lens.

I think it's a GREAT travel lens. It's small, light and produces pretty good JPG images. I especially appreciate the AF/MF switch on the side of the lens. At 18mm it's about the same angle (field?) of view as my CZ 16-70 lens @ 17 mm and continues to be a little bit wider up to about 35 mm and after that I don't care very much as it's a zoom lens and if I don't like the FoV I can just twist the ring.

The corners could be sharper, the aperture could be faster, it could also be twice the size and weight, and three times the price. Overall, I'm pretty happy.

-- hide signature --

"If you have to pixel-peep to see the difference, there ain't much difference." Sam K., NYC
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Telephoto zoom lens • Sony E • SEL18135
Announced: Jan 5, 2018
Ray Maines's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow