First time out with the GX85 / GX80 - likes and dislikes

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Simon97
Simon97 Senior Member • Posts: 2,754
First time out with the GX85 / GX80 - likes and dislikes

I got a new GX85 kit. It includes the 12-32 and 40-150 lenses.  I went to visit a friend in Michigan and got to put the new camera through the paces. I thought I'd share my opinions of the camera.

The camera is just about right in size. Although the grip is not like those on an SLR, it works effective. One thing that grabbed my attention when first handling it was the weight. It isn't a heavy camera, but for its size, it is pretty dense. I did find my hand getting fatigued when shooting videos while holding one handed.

The dual IS and focusing seems to work well. The only blurred images were my fault. I had an issue with touching the screen with my left thumb when holding the camera and moving the focus point to the lower left. I switched the camera out of that mode after doing that several times.

EVF: I don't see the color tearing or flickering some complain about at all, however, I find the EVF completely useless out in the bright sun. It is just too dim to see all that well. My glasses do darken a bit in the sun. I wear a hat and cupped my hand around my eye to help, but it is still too dark. I ended up setting the LCD to full brightness and using that.

Lens adaptability: It is no secret that mirrorless cameras are great for adapting lenses. Focus peaking and (especially) the magnified view are wonderful focus assists. In body stabilization gives me handhold ability. My old manual Pentax lenses are so easy to use.

Image quality: I'm really happy with the IQ from raw. Having no optical low pass filter (AA filter), I get some really sharp and detailed images. I find the jpegs do have some odd artifacts in them, but using RawTherepee to process the raws, the images are free of these artifacts. Having used another camera with no olpf, I'll never go back to cameras using these filters.

That's it for now.:-)

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow